The course offerings for VYU fall into two categories: Professional Development and Health & Wellness.
The Professional Development track is designed to help nonprofit leaders and aspiring grant writers.
- Introduction to Grant Writing – this training is designed for the novice with little to no understanding about the grant writing process. It covers the basics of grant writing, including, the difference between a nonprofit and for-profit organization, the types of funders, and the components of a proposal.
- The Essentials of Writing a Grant Proposal – this course takes the Introduction to Grant Writing training to the next level. It delves deeper into the writing aspect of each component of a proposal. You will learn what needs to be included in each section, the difference between a letter of support and letter of commitment and what they need to entail; you will receive a proposal template, sample budget/template, sample proposals, a list of funding resources, and more.
- Mastering the Art of Winning Federal Grants – this course will teach you the strategies to submit federal grants that are highly competitive. Federal grants are the most elusive because they are the most difficult to get. But they offer a tremendous reward for those who are successful. There are certain things that the successful applicants have in common. This course will teach you those things. You will get hands-on writing experience with constructive feedback, LIVE coaching, learn writing methods designed to help you write a compelling narrative, gain inside tips from a federal grant reviewer, sample proposals, helpful resources, group support, and much more. This is an intense course intended for those with some grant writing experience. It’s NOT ideal for beginners with little to no writing experience.
- What it REALLY Takes to Start a Nonprofit – this course is designed to enlighten you about what it really takes to start a nonprofit organization. There’s a lot more that goes into having a nonprofit organization than just a good idea. It’s imperative that you understand business principles if you want to operate a successful nonprofit.
- How to Recruit an Effective Board of Directors – This course emphasizes the importance of having an effective board of directors. It teaches how to be strategic in your recruitment of the most effective board. The effectiveness of your board of directors will impact the success of your nonprofit organization.
The Health & Wellness track is designed to promote optimal health with a focus on the mind, body and spirit. Our philosophy about health is that it requires a holistic approach because our body works in collaboration with our mind and spirit.
- Health Coaching – a Health Coach is a knowledgeable advisor who provides ongoing support and guidance as you set goals and make sustainable changes that improve your health and happiness. Our health coaching plans are for a minimum of three months, consisting of a health assessment, 1:1 coaching sessions, goal setting, nutrition advice, weekly accountability, and a customized plan. Also includes access to community support.
- Transition to a Plant-based Diet and STILL get enough Protein – this course will teach you the most effective way to transition to a plant-based diet. You will learn the benefits of a plant-based diet and how it helps prevent and reverse disease, including Diabetes; how to make a gradual transition, which foods help you thrive, staples that should be in your pantry at all times, and get meal ideas.
- Overcoming Sugar Addiction and the Blues that it Brings – This course is a program that helps recognize how much sugar you’re consuming on a daily basis and how it’s impacting your overall health and your life. You will learn how to overcome the addiction, participate in a sugar detox program to reset your cravings, and get tons of support throughout the process.
*All health programs and courses include a health assessment and follow up consultation that will start the process of developing a health plan.