The course offerings for VYU fall into two categories: Professional Development and Health & Wellness.
The Professional Development track is designed to help nonprofit leaders and aspiring grant writers.
- Help GRANTed! The Fundamentals of Grant Writing – this course is designed for the novice with little to no understanding about the grant writing process. It covers the basics of grant writing, including, the difference between a nonprofit and for-profit organization, the types of funders, and the components of a proposal.
- Mastering the Art of Winning Federal Grants – this course will teach you the strategies to submit federal grant proposals that score in the top tier. Federal grants are the most elusive because they are the most difficult to get. But they offer a tremendous reward for those who are successful. There are certain things that the successful applicants have in common. This course will teach you those things. You will get hands-on writing experience with constructive feedback, LIVE coaching, learn writing methods designed to help you write a compelling narrative, gain inside tips from a federal grant reviewer, sample proposals, helpful resources, group support, and much more. This is an intense course intended for those with some grant writing experience. It’s NOT ideal for beginners with little to no writing experience.
- So, You Want to Start a Nonprofit – this course is designed to enlighten you about what it really takes to start a nonprofit organization. There’s a lot more that goes into having a nonprofit organization than just a good idea. It’s imperative that you understand business principles if you want to operate a successful nonprofit.
- Ready, Set, Grow: Positioning Your Faith-Based Organization to Obtain Government Grants – It’s no secret that faith-based organizations are making a tremendous impact all across the country. In fact, faith-based organizations have tremendous influence on the community level. They spearhead a variety of projects for community programming in the interest of the community they serve. So, we know that faith-based organizations are valuable. It’s just unfortunate that they aren’t always fundable. Their inability to get funded has more to do with how the organization is run than the work they actually do. This course will help you build your organizational capacity and implement programming that grantors want to fund.
- Board Development: How to Recruit an Effective Board of Directors – This course emphasizes the importance of having an effective board of directors. It teaches how to be strategic in your recruitment of the most effective board. The effectiveness of your board of directors will impact the success of your nonprofit organization. The Health & Wellness track is designed to promote optimal health with a focus on the mind, body and spirit. Our philosophy about health is that it requires a holistic approach because our body works in collaboration with our mind and spirit.
- Health Coaching – a Health Coach is a knowledgeable advisor who provides ongoing support and guidance as you set goals and make sustainable changes that improve your health and happiness. Our health coaching plans are for a minimum of three months, consisting of a health assessment, 1:1 coaching sessions, goal setting, nutrition advice, weekly accountability, and a customized plan. Also includes access to community support.
- Lower Your Blood Pressure and Cholesterol in 30 Days – this course will teach you how to lower your blood pressure and cholesterol and simultaneously transition to a plant-based diet. You will learn the benefits of a plant-based diet and how it helps prevent and reverse disease; how to make a gradual transition, and which foods help you thrive.
- Overcoming Sugar Addiction and the Blues that it Brings – This course is a program that helps recognize how much sugar you’re consuming on a daily basis and how it’s impacting your overall health and your life. You will learn how to overcome the addiction, participate in a sugar detox program to reset your cravings, and get tons of support throughout the process.
- “Vegify to Amplify” – By reducing animal products, you may experience heightened awareness of mind and body, as well as more vibrant health. There are lots of foods you can add to your diet to get the same health benefits that animal products provide – a prime example of “crowding out” questionable foods by increasing great foods. On this vegetable cleanse, you will learn simple strategies to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. You’ll see how “veggie-fying” your life will actually amplify your overall well-being.
- “Beat the Sweets” – Sugar has been labeled by many as a toxin, and for good reason. It’s related to diseases that dominate our healthcare system, such as obesity, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Many people do not realize that these diseases can usually be reversed through simple dietary measures. This cleanse will get you on your way to better health and disease prevention.
- “Debunk the Junk” Food – Junk food is everywhere. From salty snacks and fried foods to sodas, candy bars, and cookies, many feel it’s hard to choose healthy options. Junk foods contain addictive ingredients like sugar, artificial flavorings, and MSG that makes it hard to stop eating them. Most people know these foods cause serious health issues, but can’t quit their addiction. This cleanse will provide you the support you need to overcome your addiction.
*All health programs and courses include a health assessment and follow up consultation that will start the process of developing a health plan.